Sep 11, 2011

I haven’t got a stitch to wear.


One day I decided to photograph my entire wardrobe. Initially, I thought it would be a good way to weed out the worn and superfluous pieces, leaving me with more breathing room in my over-stuffed closet. The entire shoot took me eight hours - a full workday. By the end, I got rid of only two articles of clothing. The entire process was harder and longer than I had anticipated. Memories, friendships, places, sounds, workdays, trips, love - so many emotions are woven into my ever-growing wardrobe, making it hard to let go of not only of the objects themselves, but of what they represent. This video is more than a comment on consumer culture and the persuasive effects of the fashion industry. Instead, tokens of my memories and manifestations of my personal identity have been put on display, like a bodiless self-portrait. Oddly enough, 421 pieces of me later, I still haven’t got a stitch to wear.

No comments: